Once books are withdrawn from Library shelves, the items become the property of the Friends. We make them available at book sales, on book carts in all branches, and at the Friendshop at the Central Library. In addition to offering some great bargains and re-use opportunities, the sales generate goodwill towards the Library.
WHAT DO THE FRIENDS DO?
- Raise funds to enhance library materials and programs.
- Share our talents as volunteers.
- Promote the library in the community
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Join the Friends and show your support for the Greater Victoria Public Library
- Volunteer at book sales
- Volunteer at the Friendshop
- Join the Friends’ Board of Directors
- Contribute to our newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
The Friends’ history dates back to 1954 when the Greater Victoria Public Library was known as Victoria Public Library.
We have been active in our present form since 1979 when the late author Terry Reksten became the first president. In the past 15 years the Friends have raised over $900,000.